Samsung and the Yuchengco Museum launch Culture Connect: Castrillo @ 50, an Instagram contest, which aims to inspire Filipinos to embrace their nationalistic pride and express it on social media.
Last year, Samsung launched the Culture Explorer application in the Philippines to celebrate the Filipino culture and heritage through exhibiting various plazas in Manila. Culture Explorer is an innovative mobile application that uses augmented reality technology to help people, especially the youth, learn about Manila’s plazas and other historical landmarks.
This year, to strengthen patriotism among Filipinos, Samsung and Yuchengco Museum are hosting Culture Connect: Castrillo @50, which would commemorate the works of nationalist Filipino sculptor, Eduardo Castrillo.
“Our collective love and passion for the Philippines and fellow countrymen are what keep us unified. Aside from encouraging the Filipinos to appreciate art, this contest also aims to provide an avenue for them to celebrate Philippine history and culture with the technology we have today. We hope that by doing such, we reinforce our countrymen’s nationalism, as being a Filipino is something to be proud of,” says Arlita Tayko-Narag, Head of Corporate Citizenship, Samsung Electronics Philippines Corporation.
To celebrate Eduardo Castrillo’s 50th year as a professional artist, Culture Connect is set to feature his works this year. Castrillo is known as the monument maker, having produced figurative historical and religious monuments, and abstract environmental works not only in the Philippines but in other countries as well.
“Castrillo’s monuments, including Binhi ng mga Bayani located in Rizal Park, and People Power along EDSA, are cultural heritage pieces of our country. Commemorating some of the turning points in Philippine history, these monuments have become testimony to Castrillo’s passion for excellence in form, technique, and spirit,” shares Jeannie Javelosa, Curator of the Yuchengco Museum.
In line with Buwan ng Wika and Castrillo’s 50th anniversary, the Instagram contest will run for the entire month of August. Culture Connect: Castrillo @ 50 encourages everyone to share their pride and love for their roots and the Philippines through social media.
Join the contest by posting a photo of any of the select public art monuments on Instagram, and expressing what it means to you as a Filipino. Tag @CastrilloCultureConnect and use the hashtags #SamsungCultureConnect and #Castrillo50.
LIST OF CASTRILLO MONUMENTS TO BE COVERED IN THE INSTAGRAM CONTEST
- Raha Sulayman, 1976, Raha Sulayman Park, Malate, Manila
- The Heritage of Cebu, 2001, Mactan, Cebu (History of Christianity in Asia)
- The Spirit of Pinaglabanan 1974, (heroes of Phil-Am war commemorating Pinaglabanan), San Juan, 1974 – at Barrio Paraiso, Pinaglabanan, San Juan
- The Light and Sound Sculptural Tableau on the Martyrdom of Dr. Jose P. Rizal, 1991 , Rizal Shrine, Luneta
- Rizal, RCBC Plaza
- Life and Heroism of Gat Andres Bonifacio (Relief) Shrine, Manila
- Andres Bonifacio, 1987 6.3 meters, Fort Bonifacio Manila
- Emilio Aguinaldo, Trece Martirez City Hall, along Governor’s Drive, Cavite
- Emilio Aguinaldo, Bacoor Cavite
- Binhi ng mga Bayani, environmental relief 1995 in Rizal Park (near the gardens)
- Bantayog ng Mga Bayani, 1992, Quezon Avenue corner EDSA
- People Power, 1993, EDSA
- Spirit of EDSA , RCBC Building, Makati, 2001
- Youth’s Cry of Defiance, 1966, 5.6 meters, cut and welded steel, Fort Santiago, Manila
- The Cry of Tondo, 1978, Isla Putting Bato, National Housing Authority Project, Tondo, Manila
- Paghimudos, Bacolod City
- Katuparan ng Pangarap ng Lahi, 1989, GSIS Building, Reclamation Area, Roxas Boulevard, Manila
- Diwa ng Batangueno, Batangas City
Up to three entries per person may be submitted under professional or open category. First-place winners under each category get a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and a Gear VR. Winning contest photos will be featured on the Culture Explorer application.
Contest runs from August 1 to 31. Winning entries will be announced online on September 13, and will be awarded on October 13.
For full mechanics and more information visit, www.eduardocastrillo.com, and follow @CultureConnectCastrillo50 on Instagram.