Typhoon season is upon us, but don’t expect sweater or blanket weather soon. It’s still hot and humid! What’s hotter is Meralco’s good news: lower electricity rates this June!
The country’s largest power distributor has announced that residential rates would go down by around Php 0.13 per kWh this month. Meralco says the rate reduction is due to lower generation charges, which is the cost of producing electricity collected by Meralco in behalf of generation companies. In fact, this June’s generation charge is the lowest since October 2004.
Aside from the reduced generation charge, taxes and other charges were also lower at Php 0.033 per kWh. Meralco’s distribution, supply, and metering charges have remained unchanged for nearly a year now.
For an average Filipino household consuming around 200 kWh every month, the new rates mean a reduction of around Php 25 in their June bill.
Meanwhile, typhoon season also brings floods to many areas in Metro Manila. We can avoid accidents at home by keeping in mind these safety reminders from Meralco:
- Turn off the circuit breaker or main power switch when it’s starting to flood.
- Unscrew the light bulbs and unplug appliances.
- When cleaning your circuit breaker, fuse and main power switch, wear rubber gloves and rubber-soled shoes to prevent electrocution.
- Always hire a licensed electrician to check the electrical wiring. Don’t do it on your own!
- Bring in your flood-submerged appliances to a professional before turning them on or using them again.
For more Meralco safety tips or if you have any questions, just visit the website www.meralco.com.ph